Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Humility

Hi! I'd like to scream, "I'm BACK!" but I can't make any promises. Sorry. I'm still toiling away in my studio, I've changed jobs and I feel much more at home. It seems strange that work can make me feel at ease but it does. It feels safe, I have a plan B (which I refuse to accept). Whether I like it or not, I know it helps me sleep at night.

Today was an odd day. I met with visiting artist, Ruth Miller (what a lovely woman!) and she really got me thinking. We looked at my work and had a nice chat in my studio. While I was waiting to meet with her my painting professor came in to take a look at my work. He told me I should keep a journal. Write things down, nothing fancy. I told him I had a blog where I used to do a lot of journaling but he suggested something more private. I told him only special people have the URL. HA! He laughed. After Ruth and I visited a bit, she proceeded to tell me I need to keep a diary. Maybe it's just something all artist do but I took it as a sign- I need to pick it up, AGAIN. Write. Write for the sake of sanity.

Today after my meeting/critique I had class. I'm sure it was just me, but, people seemed off and edgy. Perhaps I was radiating a negative aura but I just felt like everyone was trying to pick a fight. I started getting paranoid. What have I done? And then, just a downward spiral. I had to break free. I cut and ran, went home, walked Zola and watched the sun set on the city. I had to breath. My first panic attack? Maybe. I think the closer it gets to the end (of the semester) the tighter wound everyone becomes. I guess eventually we'll either kill each other or we'll break down and drink ourselves in a celebratory stupor! I'll take the latter. . .NOW.

Anyway, I ramble. I need to read, relax and then write. Last weekend I decided to make an impulsive trip to Norman and I must leave you with a few Halloween photos.LOOK OUT! It's a Golden Hurricane!Detail: Even heavy machinery doesn't stand a chance. . .

Once things calm down (will they) I'll try to post some work and talk a bit about what I've been up to. Right now I'm so scatterbrained that I don't even know what track I'm on. As the end nears I'm hoping to sit down, look at what I've done (or haven't done) and diagnose/remedy. Check back, in, well, awhile. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment