Tuesday, June 16, 2009

David Gray

I remember a few months ago I was scanning the shelves for new CD's to play in my car. I decided on David Gray's album, Flesh. I had previously purchased "White Ladder" years before and I still love it today! I guess I liked it so much I went out and bought "Flesh" which resided on the shelf until recently.

Surprisingly raw and beautiful I was smitten at first track. As I listened to the CD over and over again I realized it fit my life. Maybe I romanticised my life to fit the amazing compilation but I really think it just spoke to me on a personal level. I haven't listened to it in a few weeks but this morning it began playing in my car. Thinking back, I realized that either the CD changed my life or I changed my life because of this CD. Love, loss, memorials and "new horizons" (track 8) are all a part of Gray's "Flesh." This record will always be distinguished in the soundtrack of my life. For better or worse...
A little piece of such poetry and one of my favorite versus:
"And your heart ain't yours to control
No matter how tight the reigns
Love will find it's own direction
A time to reap, a time to sow
And many a time to cry in vain
But now the time to celebrate
The glory of this imperfection
Same thing that's scrawled across the stars
Is written under our skin
New horizon
New horizon within"
5/5 stars from me, check it out!

1 comment: