Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"The Stencil"

I have been out of my studio for several weeks but Monday I hopped back in hoping to come out with a bang. I fell short but it's a decent start. My mind is fertile I just need to work on planning and execution. I pulled out one of my reference books for inspiration. Inside, I found this photograph:This image was taken by the US Coast Guard in 1952 in Salem Massachusetts. I'm not sure why I'm attracted to it, maybe the composition or maybe it's the automobiles. I also like the contrast of the UFO's and they way they seem to be radiating light. So what do you get when you mix this photograph with spray paint?

This. This stencil was a nightmare. This is the second try and I still couldn't get it right. Those cars are pretty difficult to illustrate without using 10 different stencils (to create tonality) but I just don't have the energy (or the time) for that level of intensity at the moment. I am happy with the composition and the colors although the black is problematic (I'm just not a fan of using black in my work). I am up for suggestions but for now I'm at a stopping point. I hope in a day or two I will have an epiphany and pull the spray paint out for the final touches. I think it's a good start to getting back in the swing of creating. I'm on my way to becoming a prolific artist, watch out!

I also wanted to include the following photo to give you an idea of the scale. I have also hung the smaller stencils I did on wood. If you read my preceding blog you may remember them. I don't think I ever included their dimensions so here ya go:

1 comment:

  1. I am behind on my commenting!! I saw this the first day you posted it and have been patiently awaiting a follow up. Anyway... I still like the way it turned out!! I am sure you will master in the next few.

    ReplyDelete