Monday, May 10, 2010

German Pancakes

German Pancakes are an staple when visiting Fort Worth. While I'm sure there is a place in OKC that serves 'em, I have yet to find it. I haven't really made much of an effort to grab them in Oklahoma because they are special. Iconically, 'granddad's.' Every time I visit, I beg to eat at Ol' South for the pancakes. Usually, this place has a line wrapping around the building, TWICE so it's rare that my grandpa is willing to wait. This time, we beat the Saturday breakfast crowd and I devoured my lemon delight, I can die happy. Ol' South German is light, fluffy and rich. They serve it up with powdered sugar and fresh lemons. The waitress does the honors. She squeezes the lemons at the table. Mixes some butter and powdered sugar with the the juice and...(drumroll)....TaDA! She folds it into a little package. As you cut into it, the juicy syrup flows out and the eggy, thick crepe is supple, sweet and tart. The flavor burst in your mouth! Unbelievable, filled with sin! My cousin opted out of the lovely lemon pastry and chose the "man omelet." Chili, japs, and AMERICAN cheese. It's all Texas style!

No comments:

Post a Comment