Friday, June 18, 2010

Tie Dye and Tans

My cousin and I broke out a tie dye kit a few days back. I dyed a couple of shirts with plans to transform them into signature pieces. I managed to sew this little number in time for the show last night. I began with a mens large T-shirt and cut with no pattern or aim. I knew I wanted to make a skirt and create as little waste as possible. Turn. I decided to cut a little fringe for added detail and movement. Turn Turn. . .Most of the seams were from the original garment but I did add a few for structure and support. This is one of the most comfortable pieces of clothing I own. It is not easy to ride a bike in this getup. If you were caught cruisin' Iowa yesterday you either enjoyed a bit of a show or called me a slut. Either way, I won't be riding in a skirt again. HA!

Given the minimalistic approach to this pieces I feel like it was a success. I used most of the material and finished it up in a few hours. Sometimes you just have to jump in!

2 comments: