Monday, March 29, 2010

Green Thumb

I decided to try my hand at gardening this year. In the past, I've not been much for high maintenance landscaping but I figure (potentially) harvesting homegrown vegetables is worth the work. Friday I purchased all the goods, weeded and tilled and prepared to plant. The little Mantis is my secret weapon. He's perfect for small, soft beds that just need a little turning. Potted herbs: cilantro, thyme, dill and oregano. THE garden. This is where I get in trouble. I did some research (probably not enough) but I decided since we're right in the middle of cool and warm season, I mixed crops. I have some cool veggies and some warm. The cool tend to be more hardy so I figured they may be better for a beginner like me? I also failed to test the soil. It's brown, soft, eh, it's good.

I may be the worst gardener ever. My stock includes, red/green bell peppers. Several 'hot' peppers, green onions, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, carrots, swiss chard and tomatoes. I hope you aren't cringing at my inabilities. If you are send me some feedback, ears open. All-in-all I've invested 3-4 hours and $35. Not to shabby even if it's just for entertainment.

So now, I wait and water (sometimes the shirt comes off). Today is beautiful, I wish I could spend it outside with my new, green babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment