Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Amish Friendship Bread

Ten days ago I was sitting at my desk, starving, wishing I had grabbed that banana from the fruit basket. Low and behold, one of my coworkers came in with a hearty, loaf of Amish Friendship bread. Much to my surprise, there was a catch. In order to partake, I had to agree to take the 'starter bag' and follow the prescribed instructions. Yesterday marked the baking day. If you haven't heard or tasted Amish Friendship bread, I highly suggest seeking out an avenue for a starter bag. Rumor has it, only the Amish know how to create a starter bag but I'm sure if you really want to crash the party you could just google it (damn technology). It's a yeast bread so there's a process and division to keep the cycle churning and cranking out loaves. I like to think the yeast in my bread was created from yeast that has traveled many years and through exotic destinations. So romantic. This morning, I hit the unfortunate 'bagels for the office' day so the bread was left untouched. I decided to cut pieces and take it to the various offices around the Law School. Everyone took it without hesitation and responded positively. Smiles and friendship, I felt I had done the bread and the Amish right. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment