Friday, January 15, 2010

Handmade Postcards

Last SF post, hopefully. I'll do my best to take it down a notch when it comes to Northern Cali. Some of you are probably lucky enough to have one of these postmarked but for those of you that didn't make the cut, I thought I'd share. Feel the burn?

I made these on the thrid and forth days of my trip. I spent five minutes at each location and did a very rough, pencil sketch. At the end of the day, I'd wind down by water coloring these pieces and for polish, a pen outline. They were quickies but serve as my first 'real' pieces of 2010. This one is a drawing of a tiny sculpture I saw at the Asian Museum. He was drawn for a particular set of friends. These were done on my first trip to the Haight. They make up various edifices on the Haight as well as, random housing/churches I sketched while awaiting the bus. The left was done in Hayes Valley, the other two (right) were done from my bedroom window. This one was done as a 'Thank You' for John, an EA, concept artist.

I thought it would be a breeze busting out ten of these bad boys but there's a lot to see in that city and I had a hard time standing still even for five minutes. When I did manage to settle, I had a hard time focusing on a single thing, I wanted to investigate my surroundings. I did get finish all the cards, proof that I do have some will power and discipline. If you have one of the ten, hold on to it and realize that I consider you worthy of my invaluable vacation time.

No comments:

Post a Comment