Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Artist at Work

I've been thinking a lot about composing this post. I've scanned the images several times and kept having problems narrowing them down (to see them all, follow my flikr). I wanted to create a list of my favorite artist from the OKC Festival of Arts but there were just too many amazing pieces, it became impossible! Instead, I decided to provide a glimpse of the process and craft that are responsible for the art.

It was great to see do many artist at work. It's not easy to take your work on the move so I have to give major props for their endeavors. Having done a demo this year at the festival, I know how hard it is working outside of the studio and with limited resources. The difference between the work I produced at the festival and the work of the 'booth artist' was huge. They were practically camping out for a week and yet their work still managed to impress me. Take a look: This girl did some amazingly detailed, photo-like sketches. She plopped down in the shade and proceeded like there was no one else around. These guys were next to my booth where the artist demos took place. They were both artist and craftsman. Their work was classic. Figurative sculptor. Sole Gourd weaver. The evening I attended there was a grafiitti demo. I have to admit, I wasn't impressed. I had high expectations but it just didn't hold my attention. The idea was solid but execution was lacking. Can't win 'em all. I do appreciate that people are becoming interested and even drawn to street art/graffiti.

Aside from all the eye candy, the weather was surprisingly super! Rain is notoriously paired with the Festival. This year, I was lucky enough to pick the perfect day-Sunshine and a breeze. Many thanks to all the beautiful artist and Oklahoma for providing the beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment