Wednesday, December 16, 2009

More Space, Please.

These days, wall space is hard to come by. I guess that means I need to learn to market my work. I have several reason why I haven't tried hocking my work. The biggest, and probably most unreasonable, is because each piece is like a child. It's something that spawned from within, I nurtured it and helped it grow. I suppose if I were approached by a potential buyer I wouldn't have a hard time parting with it but it just feels wrong to push it like a used car salesman. I know, I know, it seems lazy but really I'm just sentimental. I'm sure after the first big sale I will see dollar signs and all hell will break lose but for now, my pieces remain my ball and chain. As a result...this is a view of my studio as it currently stands. It's beginning to feel a little crowded. This is a piece I started for my mom. She just purchased a beautiful, art deco era, china cabinet and she requested a piece to hang above. She asked for something that she could hang for the holidays and potentially stay throughout the year. Since one of her nicknames is 'moose' and I seem to have an attraction to animals with horns, I decided to run with it.

I started the painting at her house with very little resources. She sprung it on me suddenly as she handed me a piece of Masonite and some craft paints. Last night, I added the black outline and the 'flourishes.' Upon some reflection, I decided I didn't like the black face. It was just to heavy and distracting I wanted something more fluid. I decided to simplify. I'm not completely satisfied but I decided to stop and let her take a gander before I went overboard. Hopefully it will be a hit. Fingers crossed.

Amongst all the hustle and bustle and DIY projects I've inflicted on myself this season, I decided I needed a little 'me' time. Last night I had my hairs cut: Ahhh. Nothing like waking up with a "new do" and some added sass. Now I just have to finish up my graduate portfolio and knock out these holiday projects! No time for fun, just swingin' the hammer from dawn 'til dusk. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment