Thursday, November 26, 2009

Custom

A couple years back my grandparents were remodeling their kitchen. I was in the midst of finishing up my art degree and my grandma approached me about some custom tile work for her back splash. She picked out various vegetables and flora and I took it from there. She also requested a large composition to be placed above her range. I struggled a bit to make sure my tiles were cohesive with the tile she had already purchased for the project. Let me begin by saying, these were not easy. They involved many layers of painting with firing in between. It was a very lengthy and tedious process but there is nothing like seeing her face light up after they were in place. She adores them and that makes it worth the pain. Since I had my camera handy this Thanksgiving I thought I'd snap a few shots. Enjoy!This piece still needs to be bordered. She has been searching for awhile but she said she just hasn't found anything she's crazy about. These tiles definitely add a very personalized aspect to her kitchen. Since my grandmother spends a lot of time in the kitchen it's nice to have some special, custom details.

I'm not opposed to taking commissions although I will be honest, It will take large sums of money to agree to a project of this magnitude.

Do you have a favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment